High fees aren't just a slow and steady headwind to your portfolio. High fees force increased portfolio risks.
I frequently see investors paying asset-based fees to their “financial” advisors that exceed 1%. 1% may not sound like a lot, but when you translate it to dollar amounts, 1% can be quite significant.
Directly From Your Pocket
For example, a $5,000,000 portfolio, at 1%, will cost you $50,000 per year or $500,000 over ten years! This is not to say that independent, objective advice isn’t valuable - because it can be extremely beneficial. However, if you believe in passive investing strategies, any asset-based fee over .5% is a very costly way to pay for that advice.
The Indirect Cost
Another, less obvious way, high fees can hurt you is that many investment advisors will take more risk with your portfolio to justify their fees, which means you now have double the ways to lose!
For example, if you hire an advisor that charges 1% and they invest in the PIMCO Total Return Mutual Fund*, with an annual cost of 0.46%, you now have a total yearly expense of 1.46% BEFORE you earn anything.
A Better Way of Investing
At WealthFactor, we leverage modern technology to efficiently manage investments for our clients and only charge .35%. Rather than hiring PIMCO to buy bonds for you, we’d prefer to invest the funds directly in less risky investments such as Treasuries. You’d get the benefit of professional, institutional quality advice for a small fraction of the cost, all without taking unnecessary risk in the process.
WealthFactor’s focus on fee efficiency maximizes the probability of achieving your investment goals.
Advisory services are offered for a fee by WealthFactor, LCC, a registered investment advisor. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. The material presented in this advertisement is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as investment advice. It is not a recommendation of, or an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy, any particular security, strategy or investment product. All visuals are illustrative only. Past performance is not a guarantee of future return. Investing involves risk. Calculations within our tools are based on information provided by the user. We recommend consulting with a financial professional before acting on any information provided by these tools. Read Full Disclosures